Open Oregon Educational Resources promotes textbook affordability for community college and university students, and facilitates widespread adoption of open, low-cost, high-quality materials.
High quality, low-cost learning materials will be thoughtfully integrated into teaching and learning in Oregon’s higher ed.
How will we know we’ve succeeded? Metrics such as…
- Open Oregon Educational Resources provides tools and resources to make equity, diversity, and inclusion primary considerations when faculty adopt course materials.
- Open Oregon Educational Resources advocates for well-staffed units such as accessibility services, library, bookstore, and instructional design supporting faculty to adopt, adapt, and create shared resources.
- Open Oregon Educational Resources has data and stories to demonstrate the value of course materials relating to student savings, student success metrics, and student engagement in content creation.
- Open Oregon Educational Resources is a clearinghouse for information about student choices being consistently communicated across platforms, and adding up to fully affordable pathways.
- Open Oregon Educational Resources makes compensation and recognition available for faculty to affirm academic freedom by developing their own open materials and designing their own curricula.
- Open Oregon Educational Resources consults with institutions to reimagine campus stores as essential student services rather than for-profit enterprises.
Open Oregon Educational Resources recognizes that our mission, vision, and values are not meaningful unless we account for past and present inequities. The systemic racism that led to Oregon being founded on stolen land as an all-white state has caused generations of harm. This privileges the lives of white people and shapes the experience of Black, Indigenous, and other people of color that live and learn here today.
As a statewide program, we must attend to the impact our choices have on Oregon students. Our team provides tools and resources to make diversity, equity, and inclusion primary considerations when faculty engage with open course materials. We also continue to ask questions and learn together. We welcome being held accountable to the ideals in this statement via our Contact page.