Linnea Spitzer, Senior Instructor, Portland State University Intensive English Language Program, contributed to this post.
Open Oregon Educational Resources received Governor’s Emergency Education Relief funding to translate Dave Dillon’s award-winning, openly licensed textbook, Blueprint for Success in College and Career, into Spanish in order to provide an affordable resource to meet the needs of North American college students who are native Spanish speakers.
During summer 2021, project manager Linnea Spitzer led a group of faculty to review existing English-language materials and identify needed revisions for cultural relevance. Two student focus groups also reviewed the English-language materials and made additional suggestions. Drawing on reviewer and student feedback, Linnea and contributing author Norma Cárdenas revised the materials.
Today we’re launching Blueprint for Success in College and Career, Oregon Edition! The Oregon Edition has a number of exciting changes, including a new chapter focused on college writing, updated resources for Oregon-based student support, and equity-focused revisions designed to support Oregon students from all backgrounds. Read online or order a print copy for $13.45 plus shipping.
Translator Patricia Vazquez has started translating the Oregon Edition and related materials into Spanish. This work will be ready to share with faculty who will pilot the Spanish course materials in the 2022-23 academic year.
Are you interested in piloting the Spanish Language Blueprint Textbook in your College Success class? Piloting instructors will be paid $1500 to use the revised Spanish Language Blueprint textbook in their courses, develop openly licensed ancillary materials, and offer feedback for further textbook revisions. Pilot instructors will have the support of an instructional designer. Course pilots will take place in Fall 2022, Winter 2023, or Spring 2023. More information about participating in the pilot project.
Thank you reviewers!
- Norma Cárdenas, Portland State University
- Marisol De La Torre, Oregon State University
- Steven Dickson, Southern Oregon University
- Vanessa Hernandez, Portland Community College
- Rachel Knighten, Lane Community College
- Jessica Lopez, Oregon State University
- Jean Mittelstaedt, Chemeketa Community College
- Monica Olvera, Oregon State University
- Kim Puttman, Oregon Coast Community College
- Edgar Rosas Alquicira, Lane Community College
- Grecia Salinas-Molina, Portland State University
- August Stockton, Portland Community College
- Denise Tischler, Mt. Hood Community College